What are the side effect of saffron?
Saffron Expert are believed to be safe up to 1.5 grams per day, but research suggests the benefits can be found with as little as 30 mg per day. But generally, your ideal daily dose of saffron should be in the range of 80 to 100 mg to get the most out of its health benefits. It means you should use maximum 3 gr per month for one person and 36 gr per year!!
Saffron is LIKELY SAFE in food amounts. Saffron is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth as a medicine for up to 26 weeks. Some possible side effects include dry mouth, anxiety, agitation, drowsiness, low mood, sweating, nausea or vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, change in appetite, flushing, and headache. Allergic reactions can occur in some people.
Taking large amounts of saffron by mouth is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. High doses of 5 grams or more can cause poisoning. Doses of 12-20 grams can cause death.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking saffron by mouth in amounts larger than what is normally found in food is LIKELY UNSAFE. Larger amounts of saffron can make the uterus contract and might cause a miscarriage.
Not enough is known about the safety of using saffron during breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and stick to using only food amounts.
- Bipolar disorder: Saffron seems to be able to affect mood. There is a concern that it might trigger excitability and impulsive behavior (mania) in people with bipolar disorder. Don’t use saffron if you have this condition.
- Allergies to Lolium, Olea (includes olive), and Salsola plant species: People who are allergic to these plants might also be allergic to saffron.
- Heart conditions: Saffron might affect how fast and how strong the heart beats. Taking large amounts of saffron might worsen some heart conditions.
- Low blood pressure: Saffron might lower blood pressure. Taking saffron might make blood pressure become too low in people with low blood pressure.
What a useful and effective Spices
Does it really affect pregnancy?
yeah it has some effects
I use it for my skin. Very good
Could you write more about it?