Saffron is a spice with a strong fragrance and distinctive color. The spice is also rich in antioxidants, which may have many health benefits. Early evidence suggests that saffron may boost mood, increase libido, and fight oxidative stress. Saffron is generally safe for most people to consume, and it is very simple to add it to the diet. Saffron has so many uses, and in some parts of the world, it is added to coffee to make a delightful beverage.
There are many ways to use saffron in coffee, but we’ll show you how to make a basic coffee with this exquisite spice. You can experiment with the addition of other ingredients, which we’ll suggest, below.
But first, for one cup or mug of coffee, you’ll need:
- Coffee as you normally prepare it.
- 5 filaments or threads of saffron ( pure organic saffron from Iran)
- Small amount of hot water (approximately 2-3 Tablespoons)
- Sweetener such as sugar or honey if you like.
- Place the saffron threads in your mug and then pour the hot water over them. Allow the threads to soak in the water for at least ten minutes.
- After a few minutes, you’ll see the water turning to a nice hue of yellow. In ten minutes, the colour will be much deepeer:
- After waiting ten minutes, fill your mug with your coffee and sweeten as desired.
Now go enjoy a wonderful cup of coffee! And don’t forget, many believe that saffron has beneficial effects on mood, and caffeine to give you a bit of a jump along with saffron might just be the perfect way to have coffee.
Try making your coffee with saffron by adding other ingredients as well – think about cocoa, cinnamon, cardamom, or even a slice of lemon or orange! Try them in various combinations as well for a wonderful mug of coffee. Treat yourself! Drink the coffee through a scoop of whipped cream on top.
Let us know how you enjoy your saffron coffee.